Makes 10 – 12 standard muffins.
Ingredients Basic recipe
250g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
80g caster sugar
90ml corn oil – 3 tablespoons
- Prepare the tins with paper cake cases. Preheat oven 200°C/ Gas mark 5-6.
- Mix the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
- Mix the wet ingredients – egg, milk and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir for 20 seconds. Do not beat. The muffin mixture should drop in globs off the spoon. If overstirred the gluten in the flour will develop and the muffins will be tough with holes. Fill the muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 mins. Mini muffins take 15-20 minutes. Muffins are cooked when the tops are lightly browned and spring back when touched.
- Muffins are best when they are freshly baked and still warm. If not,they should be frozen.Flavours you can add
Raisins, currants, chopped dried fruit, chocolate chips, apricots, bananas, bran, cherries, cheese.Flours to use
Plain flour is best.
Strong flour has too much gluten and will make the muffins tough.
Self raising flour is OK but you need to know how much baking powder to add.
Wholemeal flour adds colour and fibre.
Sugar – granulated, finer caster sugar or brown sugar can be used.
Oils – you need to choose one that has a good flavour, but not too strong. Olive oil is too strong.
Milk – you can use semi-skimmed, skimmed to lower the fat as well as whole milk.
Eggs improve the texture, lightness and nutritional value of the muffin.
Extra nutrition and fibre – add some wheatgerm or bran