This is a cheap, nutritious, delicious dish which is really good to make for supper. Hard boiled eggs coated in a thick cheese sauce and surrounded by creamy mashed potatoes.
500 g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
Butter or margarine for mashing, and a little milk
Salt and pepper – white pepper is best
20 g cornflour
300 milk semi skimmed milk
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
150 g grated cheese – strong Cheddar works well
1 tomato or coloured sweet red or yellow pepper
1. Boil the potatoes and eggs together for 15 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and put the eggs in cold water to keep the yolk yellow.
- Egg mornay after grilling
3. Mash the potatoes with butter, salt and pepper and enough milk to make soft with no lumps.
4. Make the sauce. Put the cornflour and milk in a small pan and heat and beat with a whisk until it thickens. Or you can cook in the microwave. Add 100 g of grated cheese and season with mustard. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
5. Peel the eggs, cut in half and place cut side facing down into an oven proof dish. Pour the sauce over the eggs.
6. Pipe potatoes around the edge or just use a fork to create lines. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
7. Cut the tomato or peppers into thin strips and arrange around the potato to decorate.
8. Put the dish under the grill and heat until the cheese bubbles and becomes golden.