300 g dried macaroni
100 g frozen peas
30 g plain flour
30 g butter or margarine
300 ml milk – we used whole milk in the 70s
150 g grated cheese – we used cheap Cheddar, but strong matured Cheddar is good
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard – we used Coleman’s English powder
1 sliced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water until soft – see packet for instructions, but usually about 8 minutes. Add the frozen peas about 2 minutes before the end.
- Make the white sauce by the all in one method – put the flour, butter and milk in a pan and whisk over the heat until the sauce thickens.
- Drain the macaroni and peas and stir into the sauce along with two thirds of the cheese.
- Season with mustard and black pepper.
- Pile the mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Decorate with a line of sliced tomatoes and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.